Monday, April 5, 2010

"You and me babe, how about it?"

Today I love... The Dire Straits - "Romeo and Juliet"

Well, if I'm being honest, I love this song every single day of my life. It's my favorite song in the world.

A love-struck Romeo sings the streets a serenade
Laying everybody low with a love song that he made.
Finds a streetlight, steps out of the shade
Says something like, "You and me babe, how about it?"




I found the album Making Movies on vinyl last week on Ebay for less than $10 including shipping, so I snatched it up as quick as my little fingers could click.

Here's the original as it appears on the album. And check out the video, crazy 80's-ness:


This is my favorite version of the song. This version can be found on the album Real Live Roadrunning that Mark Knopfler did with Emmylou Harris a few years ago. Chris and I love it so much that we had the musicians at our wedding play it as the processional. The attendants walked in to the piano intro part and I walked in to the guitar. It couldn't have been more perfect.

Romeo & Juliet - MyVideo

And this is my favorite Non-Knopfler version. Edwin McCain, you kill me with the beauty of this song. There's no video, just audio. This version can be found on Edwin McCain's live The Austin Sessions album. Listen at 4:24. Guuuhhhhh. Gets me every time.


And in case you're still questioning my love of this song, even after 3 versions, remember my Long Distance Quilt? The lyrics to this song run down the entire right side of the quilt.

So yeah. It's the greatest song ever. I'm absolutely certain of that fact.

Have a lovely, lovely evening!
xoxo

PS... I'm working on a playlist for April. Suggestions?

No comments: