Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Granny Squares and Rainy Day Embroidery

After a loooong hiatus, I'm finally back crafting things that I can post! For the last month or so, it has been Christmas gift after Christmas gift and I couldn't very well post pictures of gifts, now could I?

First, a new scarf that took forever since the yarn was such a small gauge, but it turned out so pretty. The yarn was part of my Christmas present from Chris' parents and I still have more of it, so you'll probably see more in the future.

I made the next scarf over Thanksgiving break, but for some reason haven't posted it yet. I love granny squares (they're just so pretty!) and have always wanted to make a scarf of them, so I finally did.


I actually wore this scarf a few nights ago to go eat dinner at McAlister's and the girl behind the counter completely flipped over it. She asked where I got it and I (very proudly) stated that I made it. I'm not sure she believed me at first. Then she started asking all kinds of questions about it. Afterwards, I realized that I should have offered to sell it to her. This sort of thing has happened a few times now, with scarves or bags or other things I've made. The whole encounter sort of solidified my desire to make business cards to keep with me at all times, for just this sort of situation. Hey, if somebody's willing to buy it, shouldn't I be willing to sell it?

Next, I've finally started back to work on my LDQ (Long-Distance Quilt) and I can't wait to pop these in the mail to Mamaw tomorrow.

This one is clouds with raindrops. I love how the droplets turned out, but they were such a pain. There were so many of them, and I had to tie off my thread after each one. As for the clouds, I have learned my lesson about picking out thread colors in dim light. What I thought was a nice stony gray turned out to be a grayish olive green. Oh well, they're pretty anyway... even if they are green clouds.


Now, this was super easy, but is among my favorites for the quilt. I just hooped my fabric and did concentric rings of running stitch, working from the outside in, using the hoop as a guide. I like that some of the rings aren't perfectly circular. And after spending what seems like an eternity on grayish blue raindrops, using lots of color was a welcome relief. This one only took me around an hour (using a 7" hoop). I'd love to make an entire quilt using this idea someday. It would be so pretty and colorful. Hmmmm... something to add to the "future projects" list....

That's all for now. I hope to have more soon. There are so many ideas floating around in my head and I can't wait to sit down and get them out!

1 comment:

Bibbi's Boggled Bloggle (say that three times fast) said...

Each scarf is very pretty in it's own pattern and colors...good job. Yes, get those business cards made and what about selling on the net too? Make a Hot business, to Warm a body, in the Cold weather! I know, that's corny! lol

The quilt is going to be very special and something that will have a remembrance in each piece.

I see from the time that you posted, that Mammaw's blood runs thick in Rischa, you and me...."night owls" we are.

Have a great day!