Monday, July 12, 2010

Cover Me Mondays: Crimson and Clover

Hello again! I have decided to add a new weekly feature to my dear ol' blog: Cover Me Mondays! Lots of people do Music Mondays, but I couldn't really limit myself like that with music. I'd feel weird posting music on any other day. So, I've decided that every Monday, I'll post the original version of a song and one or more cover versions. And who doesn't love a good cover? I do. Sometimes more than the original song.

Today's cover: Crimson and Clover (because I was watched Joan Jett videos on YT for over an hour after watching The Runaways.)

Originally recorded in 1968 by Tommy James and the Shondells, Crimson and Clover has to be one of the most covered songs ever. It seems like everybody does it!

The Original, Tommy James and the Shondells, 1968:


Reggae version, The Uniques, 1969:


Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, 1981:


Dolly Parton, 2005:
(Please excuse the god-awful video)


Prince, 2009:


Broken Bells, 2010


Apparently Cher, Kelly Clarkson, and several foreign bands cover the song as well. And tons of bands sample from it.

So, what do you think? Which is your favorite? Least favorite? For me, even though I love Dolly with my whole heart, she just didn't quite get this one. Not my cup of tea. And of course Joan Jett's version is my favorite. The Hubs and I even put it on our wedding CD.

Suggestions for future Cover Me Mondays? Leave it in the comments!
xoxo

No comments: