Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hail to the Chief

Let me start by saying that this will be the one and only time in the next four years that I will talk politics on this thing. I promise.

I voted opposite most of my family and a good portion of my friends. Someone even told me they were disappointed in me. Disappointed? How can you be disappointed that I have a mind of my own? That I am intelligent enough to make my own decisions based on my personal beliefs?

We are lucky enough to live in a place where we can vote for whomever we like, whether our reasons are valid or convoluted, whether our family and friends agree or not. Everybody thinks their way of thinking is the right way. We can't all be right. But we can be well informed. We can do our homework. We can judge candidates based on facts, not on speculation or what someone else told you was true.

Make no mistake about it; I did not vote the way I did because I was misled, misguided, or misinformed. I voted the way I did because I believe we need change, that we need someone that will work to turn our country around and put us in the right direction again.

There are few people that I talk politics with. There are even fewer that I can talk to that have views differing from my own and don't try to change my opinion or call me stupid (thank you Jessica!). I learned a great lesson from Linus in It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!
"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people:
religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

I have long been a proponent of the Linus philosophy..... of "Keep your mouth shut, Katie!" I don't pick fights. I don't push my views on others. I smile politely. I don't disagree. But when it comes to my vote... I will not let someone else decide for me. I will make my own choice. And when you ask me who I voted for, and you don't like the answer, it's your problem.

I am more proud of my country tonight than I have been in a long time. I can feel the wind changing for the better and it feels so good.

1 comment:

Rischa said...

I was so proud when they announced the winner that I actually cried a little. Don't you dare tell!! lol Joel and I voted for Obama even though both of our families were on the opposing side of the fence. Good for you for making your own educated decision! They'll still love us. lol