Monday, August 9, 2010

Cover Me Mondays: Respect

Everybody knows this song. Everybody. Really, your grandma knows this song. Everybody. People sing it in the shower, while cooking, alone in their cars, and of course, doing karaoke.

Aretha Franklin, recorded 1967 (Not sure the date of this video):


But what you may not know, is that Aretha's oh-so-famous version of this song is NOT the original. Whaaaaaaattt????

Yep, it's true. Aretha recorded the anthem in 1967. Otis Redding wrote and recorded the song in 1965, two years before Aretha's version. Now, I don't know about you, but that fact pretty much blew my mind. I had no idea! Did you?

Otis Redding,



So there you go, a little education with this week's edition of "Cover Me Mondays."

And truth be told, I think I like Mr. Redding's version just a little bit better.
(no offense, Aretha...)

xoxo

1 comment:

citymouse said...

I think you're right... Otis rocks it. (I had no idea.)