Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Summer in the 'Boro.. and Why It Won't Suck.

I just found out that I will not be taking summer classes as I previously thought, due to:

1. I have reached my "maximum loan allowance for the 2007/2008 school year" and I doubt I'll be able to discover $854 in the couch cushions.
2. The drawing class I signed up for has been canceled due to low enrollment.

Therefore, my plans for the summer are:

1. Find a job.
2. Move out of the Marvin House and into my new apartment.
3. Work on arts and crafts projects! (This is the only one I'm excited about.)

I have several projects that have fallen by the wayside, what with papers and tests and classes and college and all.

Among the neglected projects are my embroidered anatomical heart, an old suitcase that's half painted white, a big round pillow that's only half full of stuffing, and this little abstract rainbow/wave thing. Check out all those French knots! (click to enlarge)



I'm not really sure what to call it, but I know I like it and want to frame it. I still have some gaps to fill in, as you can see, and it needs to be extended about two and a half inches on one side to fit a 5x7 frame. It's probably going to take another 1-2 hours of work, which isn't really all that much. A few episodes of Doctor Who should get me through.

And those are just the projects that I've already started. There are plans for many, many more... including:
1. Customizing a few action figures (including a made-from-scratch Veronica Mars)
2. Building a new work table for my new apartment
3. Creating a magnetic wall for my gigantic collection of magnetic poetry
4. Embroidering a rudimentary solar system model. See sketch below:



I have since added moons and the actual names of the planets, not just letters.... Jupiter also looks more like a circle and less like a wibbly-wobbly doodle now. And YES, I grew up in a time when Pluto was a planet, and in my heart, Pluto will always be a planet.

So even though Georgia Southern University has crapped all over "The Plan" for getting me out of school in this decade, I'm optimistic. And as I study for finals and realize that I really didn't do so great this semester, I think that maybe, just maybe, it'll all be alright.

No comments: