Monday, August 17, 2009

The Longest Weekend

My weekend started on Thursday night, which would usually be a good thing. This time, however it just made the whole ordeal longer. I'll explain.

Thursday night Chris and I drove down to Brunswick to stay the night so that we could get up Friday morning in order to meet with our bakery and florist for the wedding. At around 4:30 Friday morning, I woke up to a beeping cell phone and a text message from my Dad saying that my grandma (Mamaw) fell Thursday night and broke her left hip. Of course, there was absolutely nothing we could do from Brunswick, but it didn't stop me from worrying anyway. I think I take after Mamaw in that way.

So, at around 7, we ate breakfast and got ready to head to the bakery. After sitting and talking (and tasting some wonderful cupcakes) we are very happy and excited to be using Nautica Joe's Cafe for our bakery. Next, we went to the florist and talked through what we want and what to expect. Again, we are very happy with the florist we have chosen. (Their website is HERE, but doesn't really do them justice.)

After the florist, we headed off the island and made our way to Tignall. My best friend Abbie got married this weekend and the plan had been for Chris and I to stay with Mamaw for the weekend, but of course plans changed. Friday night we went to the rehearsal dinner and after a long day and long evening, we finally got to bed around 2am. Saturday was even longer since I had to have my hair done at 8am and then had wedding stuff all day long. Mamaw had surgery around 1:00 and they replaced the ball in her left hip. After we got Abbie down the isle, and stayed for a few minutes of the reception, Chris and I decided to call it a night. We went back to Mamaw's and I pretty much crashed. I definitely went to bed around 8:15.

Sunday, we got up and headed to Athens to visit Mamaw in the hospital. She's doing quite well, all things considered. She was still Mamaw, worried about everybody but herself, making sure none of us were hungry or anything. If you know Mamaw, this is quite typical. I believe they are going to try to move her to Washington sometime this week, so she can be closer to home, then she will be there for 2-4 weeks of rehab and recovery.

We finally got back to Statesboro last night around 11 and I'm not sure I've ever had such a long weekend.

This week, we're trying to get even more wedding stuff done. The list seems never ending. Plus, the ladies of Tignall Baptist Church are throwing me a shower next weekend, so I'll spend another weekend on the road.

Today, however, I'm planning on doing lots of little wedding things like emailing the florist, working on favors and corsages, and making lists for our wedding director. I also have a dinner date with Jessica tonight which should prove to be good fun.

I hope to post some fun things soon to lighten the mood a little. Please bear (bare?) with me.

No comments: